Associate Professor: Wensheng Chen
Postgraduate Students: Fanfei Liu, Yanghui Xiu, Xingxing Wang
The focus of our research has been on studying the molecular factors that play important roles in the corneal immune defense. Specifically, we have been interested in determining: (1) corneal alterations induced by topical application of benzalkonium chloride (BAK)，the most common preservative in ophthalmic preparations; (2) acute effect of BAK on the localization and expression of zonula occludens (ZO)-1 in the corneal epithelium in vivo; (3) effect of BAK on corneal nerves; (4) corneal alterations following exposure to commercial solution of latanoprost, travoprost and bimatoprost.
In addition, we have evaluated the surgical outcome of levator resection with suspensory ligament of the superior fornix suspension in severe congenital ptosis with poor levator function, and found that this surgical technique results in high functional and cosmetic successes in the long term.
1. Levator resection with suspensory ligament of the superior fornix suspension for corretion of pediatric congenital ptosis with poor levator function W Chen*, Liu Z, Tian Q, Niu H, Liu F, Wang X, Xiu Y, N Dong. Eye. In press.
2. Liu Z Qiu F,Li J, Zhu Z,Yang W, Zhou X, An J, Huang F, Wang Q, Reinach PS, Li W, Chen W, Liu Z* Adenomatous polyposis coli mutation leads to myopia development in mice PLoS One 2015 Oct23;10(10):e0141144.
3. Huang c, Wang H, Pan J, Zhou D, Chen Wensheng, Chen, et al. Benzalkonium chloride induces subconjunctival fibrosis through the COX-2-modulated activation of a TGF-ß1/Smad3 signaling pathway. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014; 55: 8111-8122.
4. Chen Wensheng, Dong Nuo, Huang Caihong, et al. Corneal alternations induced by topical application of commercial latanoprost, travoprost and bimatoprost in rabbit. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(3):e89205.(缺年)
5. Chen Wensheng, Zhang Zhenhao, Hu Jiaoyue, et al. Changes in rabbit corneal innervation induced by the topical application of benzalkonium chloride. Cornea. 2013;32:1599-1606 .
6. Chen Wensheng, Hu Jiaoyue, Zhang Zhenhao, et al. Localization and expression of zonula occludins-1 in the rabbit corneal epithelium following exposure to benzalkonium chloride. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(7):e40893 .
7. Chen Wensheng, Li Zhiyuan, Hu Jiaoyue, et al. Corneal alternations induced by topical application of benzalkonium chloride in rabbit. PLoS ONE. 2012;6(10):e26103 .
8. Han Y, Shao Y, Lin Z, Qu YL, Wang H, Zhou Y, Chen W, et al. Netrin-1 simultaneously suppresses corneal inflammation and neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012; 53: 1285-1295.
9. Lin H, Li W, Dong N, Chen W, et al. Changes in corneal epithelial layer inflammatory cells in aqueous tear-deficient dry eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010; 51: 122-128.
10. Chai Y, Shao Y, Lin S, Xiong K, Chen W, et al. Vision-related quality of life and emotional impact in children with strabismus: a prospective study. J Int Med Res. 2009:1108-1114.
11. Dong N, Li W, Lin H, Li C, Chen W et al. Abnormal epithelial differentiation and tear film alteration in pinguecula. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:2710-2715.
12. Chen Wensheng, Hara K, Tian Q, et al. Existence of small slow-cycling Langerhans cells in the limbal basal epithelium that express ABCG2. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:626-634.Z
13. Chen Wensheng, Zhao K, Li X, et al. Keratoconjunctivitis sicca modified epithelial stem cell proliferation kinetics in conjunctiva. Cornea. 2007;26:1101-1106.
14. Chen Wensheng, Cao L, Hara K, et al. Effect of immunosuppression on survival of allograft limbal stem cells. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2004; 48:440-448
15. Chen Wensheng, Ishikawa M, Yamaki K, et al. Wistar rat palpebral conjunctiva contains more slow-cycling stem cells that have larger proliferative capacity: Implication for conjunctival epithelial homeostasis. Jpn J Ophthalmol 2003; 47:119-128.