English-medium Undergraduate Program: Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
XMU is one of the Chinese universities authorized by China’s Ministry of Education to enroll international students in the MBBS program in English. The program aims to help international students to become qualified medical professionals through six years of training in the medical school and hospitals.
(1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens aged between 18 and 30, be in good health, and possess a valid passport.
1. Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who have emigrated to a foreign country and who are now applying to study in China as international students must have held a valid foreign passport for at least four years, and must have actually resided in a foreign country for at least two years in the past four years (as of April 30, 2016). (Nine months of residence in a foreign country may count as a full year. The dates of the entry and exit stamps in the passport will be followed in the determination of actual foreign residence.)
2. For foreign citizens of Chinese origin, only after being officially recognized by the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau as foreign citizens can they make registration and apply for Residence Permit in China.
Please refer to the Instructions on Citizenship Certification for more information. http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/uploadfile/file/20150312/20150312031032_30245.pdf
(2) Applicants should have a high school diploma with a satisfactory academic performance.
2. Application time: February 1 - July 1, 2018
3. Application procedures
(1) Online application
Applicants should first apply online at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application
Online application is mandatory. Paper-based applications with no online signing-up will not be considered.
(2) Submission of application documents
Applicants should mail the application form generated automatically upon successful online application and other required application documents to XMU’s Admissions Office and hard copies should reach the Office by June 1, 2016. (Postal address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China 361005; Tel: +86-0592-2184792)
Note: Late applications will not be considered. Applicants are expected to keep their phones on and check their email and online application system account regularly as XMU’s Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
★ Application procedures:
4. Application documents
Applicants must provide true and correct information in all application documents:
(1) Application Form for International Students, which should be completed in Chinese or English and then printed out after successful online application.
(2) High school diploma (a notarized copy in English or Chinese). Applicants who are currently studying at high school should provide a study certificate. Certificate in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
Note: Applicants who have provided a study certificate should submit a notarized copy of their high school diploma to the XMU’s Admissions Office before the specified registration date (Mid-September 2016); failure to do so will result in disqualification of enrollment.
(3) Academic transcripts for high school study. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
(4) A photocopy of Chinese (HSK) or English Proficiency Certificate or medium-of-instruction certificate.
(5) A self-introduction video clip.
① The video clip should be five to ten minutes long and include your self–introduction and a description of your hobby, extra-curricular activities, your view of China and Xiamen University, your study plan in China. The introduction should be delivered in Chinese. Applicants for MBBS program are expected to deliver it in English.
② How to submit: Compress and save the video clip in the rar. format, and then submit it in online application. Alternatively, save it in a disk (or USB Flash Disk) and post it with other required application documents to the Admissions Office of Xiamen University. Mark the applicant’s name and nationality on the disk.
(6) A letter of recommendation in Chinese or English from applicants’ high school.
(7) Personal statement (minimum 800 words) in Chinese, which should include a self-introduction, a description of your educational experience, your motivations for studying in China and your study plan. Applicants for MBBS program are expected to deliver it in English.
(8) A photocopy of your valid passport.
Note: Applicants to whom the note to the first item of the Eligibility section applies, should submit a photocopy of their valid passports which they have held for at least four years or certificate of naturalization, as well as a photocopy of the entry and exit stamps in their passports showing that they have resided in a foreign country for at least two years in the last four years.
(9) A photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (click to download) completed in Chinese or English. (The original is to be retained by the applicant).
(10) A Statement of Financial Support (click to download) certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation and living expenses. It should be accompanied by an employment certificate or income certificate and a photocopy of the valid passport of the financial sponsor.
(11) Other supporting documents including merit certificates and internships certificates may be submitted as well. Applicants with such certificates will be given preference.
Note: Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials. Incomplete application materials will be rejected. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
5.English proficiency requirements
Applicants should present a TOEFL certificate with 80 points or above, or an IELTS certificate with grade 6.0 or above, or another certificate of English proficiency from an accredited test. Native English speakers and applicants who have taken courses in English during their high school studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate should be furnished.
Xiamen University considers applications in accordance with international practices. Admission decisions will be made on the basis of the applicants' academic performance, language proficiency, overall merits, their high school’s comments and their program preference. Applicants who are required to attend interviews or take tests will be informed in advance.
The University will publish the admission outcome on the application system of the Admissions Office in June. Admitted students’ Admission Notice and Visa Application Form will be sent out in batches starting in June 2016. Applicants can log into the online application system (http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application) to view the result of their application and detailed information regarding the delivery of the admission package.
7. Length of program and conferral of degree
Length of undergraduate programs: MBBS program takes 6 years;
Conferral of degree: Students will be conferred a bachelor's degree and awarded a graduation certificate after they have fulfilled the credit point requirement, completed their graduation thesis, and satisfied their degree requirements within the stipulated period of time.
8. Application fee: RMB 400 (payable upon signing up online; non-refundable)
9. Tuition per academic year in RMB (cost of course materials not included)
Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS): RMB 38,000 per year.
Note: Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
10. Living expenses
(1) Accommodation fee (utility charges not included)
* Xiang’an Campus:
Students of Medical College are accommodated on the Xiang’an campus.
Apartments for International Students are double rooms with the accommodation fee of RMB 1,600 per person per year.
Note: MBBS students will move to the main campus in the 6th year as there will be one-year internship in the hospitals which are located in Siming District.
* Siming Campus:
The overseas student apartment buildings on the Siming Campus are set in picturesque surroundings and enjoy a view of the sea and fresh air.
The dorms are equipped with a range of amenities. Newly enrolled students on Siming campus should apply online for on-campus accommodation.
Detailed information about on-campus accommodation application will be available in the Enrolment Instruction for New Students 2016.
Contact information of Siming campus dormitory buildings: Nanguang #4 and Nanguang #5 (Tel: 0086-592-2184905) Cai Qingjie Building (Tel: 0086-592-2180501)
* Off- Siming campus accommodation:
Due to the limited number of dormitories on the Siming campus, self-funded students and recipients of Xiamen University Scholarships and Fujian Government Scholarships should make arrangements for off-campus accommodation before registration. Living off-campus provides greater opportunities to interact with the locals and to learn about the local community and culture. Students can choose to rent off-campus apartments and the monthly rental is around RMB 2,000 per room. When living off-campus, international students will enjoy a quiet learning environment.
(2) Living expenses: Around RMB 750 per month.
(3) Student insurance: RMB 600 per year.
Note: All the fees must be paid in RMB. All fees must be paid within l0 days after you arrive at our school. A 5% overdue fine will be charged if you have no any special circumstances. Otherwise you’re not allowed to register at the school. Students in other grades who don’t pay by the end of September 30 of each year and without any special excuses will pay 5% overdue fine.
10. Contact information
★ XMU Admissions Office (the enrollment of international students on degree programs)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2184792, 2188375 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website:http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
Address: Admissions Office, Xiamen University, Siming Campus, Xiamen City, Fujian Province 361005, P. R. China
★ XMU Medical College MBBS Program Administration Office:
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2181505 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2186786
Email: email@example.com Website:http://med.xmu.edu.cn
Address: MBBS Office of Medical College,Xiamen University Xiang'an Campus, Xiamen City, Fujian Province 361102, P. R. China
For more details about admissions, please visit official website for admissions http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/en/ .